Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Beijing 2012 - Day 15 (Chaoyang Road)


Today's classroom conversations were productive, but I can tell that students are starting to wind down. Heck, I am too. Yet it's worthwhile to see them learning to bypass the touristic gaze, the blasé perspective that yields plenty of surface while revealing little real depth. These folks are beginning to see Beijing in more interesting, more nuanced ways [at least I hope they are!]

After class, I joined a small group of students determined to investigate a nearby abandoned housing complex. Two of our especially adventurous students had already visited this place (stepping over broken glass and climbing narrow ladders on their first night in Beijing!), and they brought back photos of some amazing graffiti [Check out the pix]. There was no way I would miss this!


Day 14 | Day 16

No comments: