Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Montreal Murals

As I continue working on the website for the Wood Family Diner Tour I thought I'd share some images of Montreal murals. They're everywhere in this amazing city, telling tale of a complex social environment that is both redolent with pleasure and sometimes sick with despair.

As with all forms of Street Art the murals of Montreal live in a heterotopian between-space of authenticity and artifice, and certainly betwixt the spaces that mark rebellious utterance and authorized discourse.

When I return to Montreal (and that trip will be soon, I hope) I will spend much more time exploring its murals, noting the names of their artists and uncovering themes and motifs that are invisible to my now-uneducated eye.

(Photographs by Andrew Wood)

No comments: