Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Garden Party on the 17

I took this admittedly low-qual photo using my mobile phone this morning while riding the 17 bus from Scotts Valley to work. One hour, one way, standing room only. I snagged a seat, after standing in a growing queue for 20 minutes prior to a 7:45 departure. It's Wednesday: the middle of a long week with much left to do. I can't say I'm bummed, but I'm tired and uninspired.

Then I catch sight of this poster leaning against the opposite side from where I'm sitting. It looks like something out of a nineteenth century Parisian garden party, all impressionistic leaves and sunlit grapes and billowing fabric. I don't recognize the piece, but it lifts my spirits all the same.

Do you know the name and artist?

(Here's a close-up)

Update: Some 20 minutes after I post this, Detroit Dog replies! It is a Renoir's "Luncheon of the Boating Party."

4 comments:

detroit dog said...

It is a Renoir, "Luncheon of the Boating Party."

highway163 said...

Wow!

That was scary fast. :-)

detroit dog said...

The woman in the lower left of the picture, holding the dog, is Aline Charigot -- who would later become Renoir's wife.

highway163 said...

Nice context, DD. I appreciate it. You are too cool. :-)