Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Was I Expecting?

Yesterday I was searching for the Saturday Night Live skit of the interview between Katie Couric and Sarah Palin (chuckling how much of Tina Fey's spot-on script came nearly verbatim from the candidate's own words).

Eventually I discovered that YouTube wasn't allowing full versions of the skit to be uploaded and turned successfully to the NBC/SNL website - but not without finding this link first: "Watch Sarah Palin and Katie Couric While Working from Home."

I don't know what I was expecting, but what I got was a pitch for one of those "passive income opportunities" that litter our media. And while I should not have been surprised, I was nonetheless amazed.

Even with the "working from home" addendum, is there any other reason for this title except to draw traffic of people looking for something else? Sure, it may be a clever ruse, but it's also deceptive and manipulative.

I'd love to meet the person who gets fooled (like me) into watching this pitch and then says, "Hey! I want to give this guy some of my money!"

And, no: I'm not going to embed the video.

No comments: