Update: Nov 19
Jenny and I have begun to clarify our Europe plans. Here's the most recent itinerary - following a rough course of our anticipated travels over about 24 days. Any recommendations for these places? Advice? Warnings?
Also, you can scroll down a bit to find our original post featuring more detail about what we want to do in some of these locations.
• Northern Scotland - 2 days
• London - 2 days
• Hamburg - 1 day
• Frankfurt - 1 day
• Prague - 2 days
• Budapest - 2 days
• Vienna - 2 days
• Athens - 2 days
• Santorini - 2 days
• Florence - 2 days
• Pisa - 1 day
• Nice - 1 day
• Paris - 3 days
Jenny and I have just begun planning our Europe trip for August 2011. We hope to make it from the UK to Turkey, but we may end up sticking with Western Europe if our schedule gets overly packed.
So far our top four priorities are Paris, Northern Scotland, London, and Hamburg (the order of which are, of course, subject to revision).
Now we're fleshing out the details and adding additional stops. Have you any recommendations?
1. Paris for two or three days
Place de Dublin - Intersection of rue de Turin and rue de Moscou near Saint-Lazare train station (to see the location for my favorite painting, Paris Street, Rainy Day - see blog posts here and here). I suppose we'll also want to spend a bit of time in the train station to see where Monet painted Arrival of the Normandy Train, Gare Saint-Lazare.
• Passage des Panoramas and Passage Jouffroy (because of my interest in 19th century shopping/walking arcades)
• Jardin des Tuileries
• Basilique du Sacre-Coeur
• Arc de Triomphe
• Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris
• Musée du Louvre (already I'm finding some hints on how to survive this place. Elsewhere I found some notes on seeing Mona Lisa: "Waiting to see the Mona Lisa has all the thrill of standing in an airport check-in queue. The crowd pushes forward, cattle-like and unquestioning, performing a ritual they know they have to go through with in order to complete a pre-ordained tourist experience.")
• Musee d'Orsay (to see its collection of early modern art)
• Musée National d'Art Moderne (to see its collection of 20th Century modern art)
• And, of course, we've got to at least see the Eiffel Tower!
2. Northern Scotland for a day or two (to learn a bit more about my Frazier Family roots)
• Castle Urquhart - near Inverness
• Castle Dunnottar - south of Aberdeen
• Castle Fraser - near Kemnay
3. London for a day or two
• London Eye (a top priority for Jenny)
• Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park
• Tower of London
• Hamburg to see Miniatur Wonderuland (a world-renowned "tiny town")
• Frankfurt (Jenny has a friend she wants to see there)
Other priorities in order of importance:
5. Greece - Athens and Greek islands (definitely Santorini)
6. Italy - Florence or Venice
7. Turkey - Istanbul - (Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Hippodrome, the Grand Bazaar, etc.)
8. Czech Republic - Prague (Nationale-Nederlanden Building)
9. Austria - Vienna
10. Hungary - Budapest
Europe in three weeks is a bit crazy, but we're going to experience as much as we can. Got any suggestions? Hints? Warnings? Please post a comment.