Thursday, January 24, 2008

Shadows and Concentric Circles


Breaking News: Series Of Concentric Circles Emanating From Glowing Red Dot

The cave referenced in Book Seven of Plato's Republic describes a group of poor souls staring at shadows, confident that what they see is real. One who leaves and sees things as they are, lit by the sun, would have to struggle mightily to convince the cave dwellers that they've been duped by illusions. They would likely regard him as mad. Or worse, a philosopher. From time to time I refer to that allegory in my classes. Now I have a terrific illustration in the form of The Onion's "Breaking News" story of the concentric circles.

1 comment:

LDS Kid said...

Haha. If I had a nickel for every time I heard, told, or read about the cave allegory I might to be able to buy a couple sodas. And I am talking about the 20 oz sodas here not the wimpy 12 oz cans. But seriously, great allegory and all but its like a good song played too much on the radio.