Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fresno Street Art (Part 1 of 2)

Broadway St and San Joaquin St [GMap]
A couple days ago I drove to Fresno in search of street art. I'd spotted a couple clusters on Street Art View and figured I'd have no problem finding my way around. I've visited before - somewhat notoriously back in '01 - yet this place always seems so convoluted to me.

H Street and El Dorado [GMap]
H Street and El Dorado [GMap]
H Street and El Dorado [GMap]
Once I again I found myself cruising Fresno's streets, trying to make sense of a place I barely know. I worked a few main boulevards, finding lots of walls whose graffiti had been whitewashed away. Fresno is clearly struggling to contain its taggers. And who can blame them? The difference between street art and vandalism can be difficult to discern. 

727 Broadway Street [GMap]
Kings Canyon Road and Sierra Vista Avenue [GMap]
4696 East Kings Canyon Road [GMap]
Eventually I turned to Fresno's southern outskirts. Hourly-rate motels, rusting storage lock-ups, weedy lots, and train tracks led me to my first discoveries. From there the streets seemed to draw me back northward through the optimistically named Mural District.

2254 South Railroad Avenue [GMap]
2203 South Van Ness Avenue [GMap]
2203 South Van Ness Avenue [GMap]
2254 South Railroad Avenue [GMap]
I only spent a few hours on this most recent Fresno Street Art search, which means there's much more to explore. [In the meantime, I'll post more pix tomorrow.]

No comments: